Skip to main content

What Does It Take to Speak Up?


While most people believe that you need to be very good at the language, it isn't true. If you have ever seen Elon Musk's keynotes, you will find that he stammers a lot, yet people do not complain. Instead the audience will understand and respond accordingly. The same happens with me, I stammer sometimes when I speak on the stage and find myself at loss of words. But when I step down after my seminar people say that I did great up there. Then I understood why.

Unless it's your english class where you are assessed or Toastmaster's club event where your "Ah's" are counted, its okay not to deliver a fluidic speech. You can get to it with experience. What matters is  the content. You can speak so well that people can be immersed in what you are trying to convey and respond to you. 

The content, however, cannot be something that is regular. As students or professionals, we all know how boring is a power point presentation and gets exponentially bad with time. It is interesting when you speak of experiences and your work. Suppose, you have done something and you want to share it because you believe it is something worth sharing. People will listen to it, very silently throughout your story. It's upto you to keep up their expectations till the end.

Work doesn't necessarily mean your duty at your office. It is something involves your contribution, your observations and the improvements that brought changes. Elon Musk, usually at keynotes, talks about the achievements. I love to watch them even though he stammers or stops sometimes. That is because he tells what they have gone through and how they got to those ideas that are shaping the future. 

But, you yourself cannot make your talk amazing. It involves your audience too. Suppose you are delivering a seminar on one of the papers you have written and the audience is your faculty, I'm sure no matter how bad you deliver it, as long as you are clear with the discovery or technical part, they understand it. This is because they want to see the informative part of your work. Deliver that same in an english class, I'm again sure that you will be pointed out at many mistakes you have made, no matter how good your work is.

Keynotes such as Google I/O, Apple WWDC and Tesla's car launch events take place with the audience who know the company and the struggle very well and not the English department of your college. It is why, they have such a good applause. The same happens in your office meetings. If you work throughout the week and made progress, when you put it out, they appreciate. You waste your week and deliver a beautiful fluent talk, they don't hesitate to take action. Now you know how to deliver your next talk. It is very strongly that I believe and I hope you understand that, words flow when there is content in you, not the language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Evening Walk

I am someone who is comfortable with myself. I'm pretty habituated to doing things myself except for few. I love walking, when it is not in a hurry. So, one evening when I was in Intermediate, my college got over at 5 PM when it was supposed to be at 8 PM. Instead of going home, I wanted to explore the downtown's roads and get to know it. I love observing things and observing these rich people's lifestyle didn't seem any different. I borrowed earphones from my friend, set my playlist, tightened my backpack and started the trek in the city. I never went across the VIP road. There seemed to be a big apartment coming up and it was in its construction phase. I had loads of time so I took the long route. Walked south by two blocks and turned east. Crossed the road and entered into the colony. Most of the houses were individual houses that would cost crores as of now. I kind off liked it when I saw this million dollar house with a Maruthi 800 car. My dad i

Edu'Nation

Lets make biriyani now. Put all the ingredients into a cooker and lit the stove. Minutes later you will open your cooker and find something that is not biriyani. Why? because there is a procedure and timing that we are supposed to follow and we didn't. The same with the student. Put all the students together into a class and start the lecture. Minutes later we notice half the class sleeping. Did we ever ask ourself why even the most brilliant students in the class fail to pay attention most of the times? As students we know what we understand and not. As teachers they know what to teach. When these two are connected, the result is very good. When not, we get the Indian Education System. " Most trends are positive, but my biggest disappointment when it comes to India is the education system. It should be far better. I don't want to be critical, but I do want to create higher expectations about it." - Bill Gates When we look into the secondary school level ed

How I Used Facebook for Assignments?

Ever since I got into second year, I started submitting my assignments on time. It isn't just that but I was able to complete almost all of them well in advance. I hate assignments, unless they aren't the ones where we copy stuff from one book to another. I don't write them. But, how do I get it done? "If you are good at something, never do it for free" - The Joker. Everyone is born with some talent. Its upto you to strengthen and utilise it. Facebook is something that is used by almost everyone reading this. We all use it to make friends, share pictures and lately tag our friends into every irrelevant meme. Facebook helps you to connect with different people out there. I decided to use it to connect to different people who are interested in writing my assignments. In return I do their coding work. I am utilising my skill to do something I love. No student likes all the subjects and no student likes to write assignments. Sometimes, we might like