Skip to main content

My Story from Physics to Programming


I remember, when I was in school, my interest was in Physics. Many of my friends during intermediate suggested that I take Mechanical Engineering while my father who knew me well told me that I take Electrical and Electronics Engineering. There were days where I considered Aeronautical Engineering too. But I hated programming. I was first introduced to it in my ninth grade and I never understood the importance of it. We memorised the Java programs and put it on the paper in exams.  Today I'm a Computer Science and Engineering Student and I choose this branch on my own will.

It was in seventh grade that I started liking physics. Earlier, I was interested in science because it seemed logical. One day in seventh grade, I started answering the problems in the class without knowing any formulas or proper definitions to understand them. It was kinematics. It was then that I understood that physics is not some formula-subsitute subject, it requires understand and imagination to solve problems and I had them.

Back then, physics was a basic subject in which we were introduced to kinematics, ray optics, electricity and quantum mechanics. Electricity interested me more than anything because my dad used to teach me concepts since childhood whenever I asked him doubts regarding it. My then teacher said "How well you understood the concept can be known by how well you solve the problems." Keeping this in mind, I started solving problems that are at the end of the next chapter, a month before my classmates. I finished all but two by the time we came to do it in the classroom. Finding equivalent resistance was my favourite and at that time, my friends were having difficulty in differentiating between series and parallel connections.

I was good at basics of kinematics and electricity. Both these branches of physics are used in making robots. So, robotics interested me. That was the time when I started using google properly. I used to watch videos of different robots. I was already playing with those DC motors that I found in broken toys and I used to try various things like a vacuum pump, reverse it and get a blower and all that. Sometimes I felt like I never fit into my friends circle because most of them do not like physics, but I believed I was getting good at something so I stuck to my own interests.

One day while I was reading about a robot that cleans the house, I came across something called a micro-controller. I didn't know what it was so I googled it and it made no sense to me. Programming was something that was taught then but we just memorised it. After a few days, I came to know that it is something like an electrical circuit which can be programmed. Even then I wasn't interested in programming.

As usual, I am always interested in reading blogs or wikipedia because it was short and summarised. I used to read about it, somethings seemed like we've studied and some others were greek and latin. I was already in my Intermediate at that time. I had no leisure time literally so all my interests were put aside. Second year of Intermediate, I got really good at physics and was able to solve problems better than anyone in my class. Most of them were related to ray optics, kinematics and electricity.

One day, I looked down at my bag and was about to take a book when the if - statement struck my mind. All of a sudden it made sense to me. I remembered the loops, not syntactically but why and where it was used and also the switch case statement. That day, I came home and saw how programming is used in robotics. I came across Arduino. It seemed simple to make because even school kids were using Arduino to do robotics projects. My cousin brother was an Information Technology student in B.Tech programme at Gayatri Vidya Parishad. When he said, he took IT, I didn't understand what interested him. Now, it interests me too. 

My brother and dad were having a talk regarding which branch of engineering should I purse in my next year and I said I wanted to take either EEE or CSE/IT. My dad wanted me to take EEE but later he told me to take whatever I'm interested in. All the engineering entrance exams were over and I knew it was ANITS college I had to go to. I choose CSE and got a seat in ANITS.

I started programming in C a day before my classmates were introduced to it. I didn't understand a program to add two numbers, not the logic but the print and scan statements. I didn't give up but I emailed my errors to our teacher. The next day, after the C language class, I was appreciated for trying and putting in my efforts on my own. That encouraged me to program more. I started doing all the lab programs one week before, at home while my peers did it in the lab. I struggled a bit in the beginning but I loved that being struck and getting to know things that I was wrong at. I got pretty good at it. 

As of today, I got selected to Mission RnD 2019 program and I will put my entire effort to reach to the summer course. So did I leave physics behind? I still point at the wrong trajectories in video games. This is my story, a journey from physics to robotics to micro-controllers to programming.

Comments

  1. No, you didn't leave physics behind .You maybe having interest on it still now and you might get chance in your future to work again on physics because you are interested in robotics where you might use and improve your physics knowledge along with programming. ALL THE BEST .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Evening Walk

I am someone who is comfortable with myself. I'm pretty habituated to doing things myself except for few. I love walking, when it is not in a hurry. So, one evening when I was in Intermediate, my college got over at 5 PM when it was supposed to be at 8 PM. Instead of going home, I wanted to explore the downtown's roads and get to know it. I love observing things and observing these rich people's lifestyle didn't seem any different. I borrowed earphones from my friend, set my playlist, tightened my backpack and started the trek in the city. I never went across the VIP road. There seemed to be a big apartment coming up and it was in its construction phase. I had loads of time so I took the long route. Walked south by two blocks and turned east. Crossed the road and entered into the colony. Most of the houses were individual houses that would cost crores as of now. I kind off liked it when I saw this million dollar house with a Maruthi 800 car. My dad i

Edu'Nation

Lets make biriyani now. Put all the ingredients into a cooker and lit the stove. Minutes later you will open your cooker and find something that is not biriyani. Why? because there is a procedure and timing that we are supposed to follow and we didn't. The same with the student. Put all the students together into a class and start the lecture. Minutes later we notice half the class sleeping. Did we ever ask ourself why even the most brilliant students in the class fail to pay attention most of the times? As students we know what we understand and not. As teachers they know what to teach. When these two are connected, the result is very good. When not, we get the Indian Education System. " Most trends are positive, but my biggest disappointment when it comes to India is the education system. It should be far better. I don't want to be critical, but I do want to create higher expectations about it." - Bill Gates When we look into the secondary school level ed

How I Used Facebook for Assignments?

Ever since I got into second year, I started submitting my assignments on time. It isn't just that but I was able to complete almost all of them well in advance. I hate assignments, unless they aren't the ones where we copy stuff from one book to another. I don't write them. But, how do I get it done? "If you are good at something, never do it for free" - The Joker. Everyone is born with some talent. Its upto you to strengthen and utilise it. Facebook is something that is used by almost everyone reading this. We all use it to make friends, share pictures and lately tag our friends into every irrelevant meme. Facebook helps you to connect with different people out there. I decided to use it to connect to different people who are interested in writing my assignments. In return I do their coding work. I am utilising my skill to do something I love. No student likes all the subjects and no student likes to write assignments. Sometimes, we might like