Skip to main content

How to Slay Your Presentation?


Schools, colleges or work, chances are you might be asked to present something in front of others. For the first few times some people might experience stage fear and others may not. Whatever might be the reason, most people go on the dais kill the good presentation they wanted to deliver. Many of my friends complimented me for presenting as one of the best in my class. So, I thought I should write what I do or follow to give a good presentation.

With most presentations, you are asked to present a slideshow, or "ppt" as informally referred to a widely used Microsoft product. These slideshows are like a black pen, it makes good handwriting look better and bad handwriting worse. So, it is required that you take enough care while making the presentation. First, you are supposed to know the topic you're about to present. Learn it if you do not know it. Decide on what you where you want to lay stress on. Finally, the last step should be making your slideshow.

Use of images instead of bullet points at Google I/O
Remember that your slideshow is supposed to aid your presentation, not dominate it. This is what happens in a lot of cases. People, especially take a lot of text from web sources and paste it on the presentation. The problem is that, when the slide comes up, people are busy reading it instead of listening to you. So you are lost. Less text is more text. Always speak instead of reading bullet points.
Use images instead of text or bullet points unless inevitable. Human brain is seeing images since your vision got good enough and is trained very well to capture data from an image than through text. It is of this very reason, data visualisation plays a very vital role for data scientists. Make sure your images are relevant to your topic. Find appropriate ones or edit one for you, none of them is difficult.

Transition animations look cool when you make your slideshow but when you are on the stage, you will know that the half a second animation is like ten minutes. Inspite of that, it is distracting for your audience. It would be a lot better to stick to no animation and watch the slides switch seamlessly.

Interacting with the audience at "Today At Apple"
Know your audience well in advance to your talk. You cannot speak the same way to undergraduates and professional employees with experience. You have to prepare your speech according to the audience as well. You must put in time to phrase the sentences. No matter how comfortable you are on the dais, chances are you might say something which should have been put in some other appropriate way. The unfortunate fact is that, the one sentence you ruined will make a big impact.

It is always nice to engage with the audience, provided that you engage with all. If not stay upto yourself. This can be possible when the audience is limited like a classroom or a conference. When you ask questions, make sure you don't hurt someone's interest. That will bring a negative impression from them. Don't make your seminar too interactive. It should be a seminar, not a workshop. Three or four relevant questions should be enough.

Simon Sinek's body posture makes an impact along with his talk
Body posture makes an impact because they see you while listening. You need to maintain eye contact with your audience. Some people look up and down and speak something they have by hearted. Make sure you don't lean on the wall. If you feel your hand shivering or any such nervousness, hold on to a marker or your remote, but never put your hands in your pocket. It would look better if your posture reflects what you are trying to say. It takes a bit of practice and you need to get comfortable on the dais to do so. But you can always act smart and confident even if you aren't and people won't be able to tell the difference.

Create your own style. You needn't spend time to think and create it. As you give seminars and presentations you make it yourself. Make changes such that its not as boring as a regular one but is well within the limits. Make sure you keep it interesting, a small joke to a sleeping class is accepted.

So, this time, you step on to the dais, remember that people are going to listen to you. The room is under your control for the moment. Seize it. Be confident, clean slideshow, a little interaction, and make sure your presence makes an impact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Evening Walk

I am someone who is comfortable with myself. I'm pretty habituated to doing things myself except for few. I love walking, when it is not in a hurry. So, one evening when I was in Intermediate, my college got over at 5 PM when it was supposed to be at 8 PM. Instead of going home, I wanted to explore the downtown's roads and get to know it. I love observing things and observing these rich people's lifestyle didn't seem any different. I borrowed earphones from my friend, set my playlist, tightened my backpack and started the trek in the city. I never went across the VIP road. There seemed to be a big apartment coming up and it was in its construction phase. I had loads of time so I took the long route. Walked south by two blocks and turned east. Crossed the road and entered into the colony. Most of the houses were individual houses that would cost crores as of now. I kind off liked it when I saw this million dollar house with a Maruthi 800 car. My dad i

Edu'Nation

Lets make biriyani now. Put all the ingredients into a cooker and lit the stove. Minutes later you will open your cooker and find something that is not biriyani. Why? because there is a procedure and timing that we are supposed to follow and we didn't. The same with the student. Put all the students together into a class and start the lecture. Minutes later we notice half the class sleeping. Did we ever ask ourself why even the most brilliant students in the class fail to pay attention most of the times? As students we know what we understand and not. As teachers they know what to teach. When these two are connected, the result is very good. When not, we get the Indian Education System. " Most trends are positive, but my biggest disappointment when it comes to India is the education system. It should be far better. I don't want to be critical, but I do want to create higher expectations about it." - Bill Gates When we look into the secondary school level ed

How I Used Facebook for Assignments?

Ever since I got into second year, I started submitting my assignments on time. It isn't just that but I was able to complete almost all of them well in advance. I hate assignments, unless they aren't the ones where we copy stuff from one book to another. I don't write them. But, how do I get it done? "If you are good at something, never do it for free" - The Joker. Everyone is born with some talent. Its upto you to strengthen and utilise it. Facebook is something that is used by almost everyone reading this. We all use it to make friends, share pictures and lately tag our friends into every irrelevant meme. Facebook helps you to connect with different people out there. I decided to use it to connect to different people who are interested in writing my assignments. In return I do their coding work. I am utilising my skill to do something I love. No student likes all the subjects and no student likes to write assignments. Sometimes, we might like